As of tomorrow, I will have official been a Vaughn for ONE year...A lot of people have been asking me if I have enjoyed my first year of marriage, and my normal response is "Well, we survived" (disclaimer, this doesn't not mean I didn't enjoy being married, read on to continue understanding). I don't think anyone truly tells you what an adjustment it is to be get married, maybe even a little harder for us, because we were so use to our single lives and living situations, but it has been a big adjustment for the both of us. I also don't think people tell you about the hard times, (Facebook is only for the wonderful part of your life, not the hard part), but all in all we survived, and still want to be married, therefore I think it was successful....Everyday is a learning process, and we will continue to fight, and make-up, grow, and change, and become better because we work at it, and we love each other and want to make our relationship work, so even though I say we survived, it also means we are enjoying this part of life, including all the work it takes to make a happy marriage. Here are a few things we have done in this last year as the Vaughn's.
1. MOVED...3 times to be exact. I moved into Mike's house for one month, we then moved to Alta Vista for the school year, and we have since moved back to Frankfort and are currently living in my parent's other house until August when we can move back into our house here.
2. VACATIONS....We honeymooned in Branson (lots of fun), I went to Utah for a visit, and we are packing our bags to head out on Vacation next week. We are heading to South Dakota to visit Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, The Badlands, and Sturgis....It has been our goal to go on at least one vacation together a year, and so we are beginning this tradition with South Dakota...Maybe next year we will go on a cruise, or visit another part of the country.
3. DATE NIGHTS....Our usual date night consists of dinner and grocery shopping...But we try to at least go out to dinner together once a week...Right now, its going to eat Chinese in Marysville (my favorite food of all time!), but hopefully this will be something we continue to do even after we have children (which will not be anytime soon).
4.LEARNING TO LIVE TOGETHER....I am learning to deal with Mike not closing a drawer, and he is learning to deal with me being a clean freak....Our story of compromising will continue on the rest of our lives.
We also spend lots of time riding around, seeing our families, discussing plans for the future, and working...I don't think I could have survived this last year of school if Mike hadn't been around to keep me sane, and tell me it was going to work out, or to show my students how big my work boots were (not that I ever really understood that one)...I believe we are given the exact people we need in our lives, and we are brought together because we are suppose to be together...So here's to many more years of being the Vaughn's...
No comments:
Post a Comment